Friday, April 22, 2011

Crafting For Charity

A couple of months ago Queen Sallie turned me on to a blog called Craft Hope just as they were finishing their current campaign. I have been eagerly waiting for the next one to start and it finally did! Well, after reading this post from I can teach my child I decided my princesses are getting old enough to learn it's not all about them and the Craft Hope project was a perfect fit. We started by discussing the orphans in Russia and other places around the world and here in the USA. First, I gave them a definition for the word orphan. Because I'm not ready for them to think about King Daddy and I dying, I explained that sometimes mommies and daddies can't make enough money to take care of their children so they give them to the orphanage so that they will have enough to eat, a place to sleep and clothes to wear. Now, I realize that this isn't always the case but please remember that this discussion is for a 3.5 and 5 year old and they don't need to know the entire ugly truth, yet. After our talk we went to the craft store to get some supplies.


We got some 2mm elastic cord that is rainbow colored and a 1lb container of pony beads.


Once we got home I tied a piece of yarn to a large wooded bead, both out of our stash. Then, I taped the end so that the yarn wouldn't unravel with repeated use.


Then, I gave them the supplies and let them go to town. Princess Big was all about the patterns. Princess Little just strung whatever she picked up next.


Once their string was full they brought it to me and I transfered it to the elastic cord and tied it in a knot. This activity kept them busy for about 2 hours! I don't know about your little ones but in this house it's unheard of.


When King Daddy got home from work I explained what we were doing and what we had discussed. He was so proud of his princesses that he decided to get in on it too :)

I am planning on making some fabric bracelets too. When I do I'll be sure to do a post so keep your eye out.

No comments:

Post a Comment