Friday, April 22, 2011

Confetti Eggs

When I was a kid my mom used to make confetti eggs for the Easter bunny to hide with the hardboiled eggs. It was, by far, my favorite thing about Easter (I'm not really a fan of Easter candy)! Here is how to make some for your kids.


First, take a raw egg and wash and dry it with soap and water. Next, with a pointed knife chip a hole in the shell. Try not to get shell in the hole. Once I get my hole started I stick the tip of the knife in it and pull up taking small pieces until the hole is large enough. (Can you tell that we have been dying eggs already?)


Then, turn the egg over, over a bowl, and chip a hole in the other side. This one doesn't have to be as big. Next, blow through the hole (this is why you washed with soap and water) you just made until the egg falls in the bowl. Then, I rinse the egg out by pouring a little soapy water in through the big hole while keeping my finger over the little hole. Then, I put my thumb over the big hole and give it a little shake. Next, remove your fingers from the holes and let the soapy water drain out. Then, rinse with water and prop it up on a paper towel and let dry. Since I don't want to waste the egg I do this over a few days when I make scrambled eggs for breakfast. Because I do it this way they don't get decorated until I have all the egg shells I intend to use. My mom just left them undecorated but I like the challenge of deciding which ones are the confetti eggs (they're lighter than hardboiled ones). This year I colored them using this method from Pink and Green Mama. I just put a small piece of tape over the holes so the color didn't get inside. Last year I put tape over the holes and put them in the same dye cups I used for the hardboiled eggs but they float so I had to figure out how to weigh them down. This year's method worked much better.


Once I had the egg shells decorated I glued a square of tissue paper over the small hole.


Then, through the larger hole, I stuck paper confetti in. This part takes a little patience. If you make your hole large enough you can use a funnel and pour the confetti in, however, I always get the confetti stuck in the funnel. I find it easier to just gently push small pinches in.


Once you have the shell filled glue another square of tissue paper over the large hole and you're finished! When your kids find them they can surprise each other by breaking them on each other. Just a tip though, it can hurt when these get broken on heads! My rule for the princesses is that you break them against shoulders only. When they're older they will be able to crush them in their hands over each others heads.

No comments:

Post a Comment