Monday, May 16, 2011

Dresser Cover

The first piece of furniture to get a makeover was the dresser.


It was the one King Daddy grew up with and his parents had it refinished. Needless to say it holds sentimental memories for King Daddy and he didn't want me to touch it with any paint. In fact he asked me to make a cover for it so it doesn't get scratched. 


The first thing I did was measure the top and cut a piece of fusible fleece. You can find it in the fabric store with all the fusible interfacing and such. Then I measured the top from underneath the overhang across the top and underneath the other overhang (and front to back). To that measurement I added two inches on both the length and width. 


After cutting the fabric I ironed a 1/4" fold then a 3/4" fold and pinned it. Then, by hand, I sewed the corners down. Once that was done, I sewed around the inside edge, leaving a few inches open, to form a casing for the 1/2" elastic.


After sewing the casing I centered the fleece inside it and ironed it to the wrong side of the fabric per the instructions that came with the fleece. 


Once the fleece was on I measured around the dresser and used about 1.5' to 2' less elastic than the measurement. The elastic I had was very stretchy and I wanted the cover to be snug so the drawers wouldn't get caught in it. I pinned a safety pin to the end and pushed it through the casing all the way around. Then, I overlapped the ends about an inch and sewed it together. 


Once I got the elastic all spread out evenly I sewed the opening closed and slipped it on the dresser. It turned out much better than I thought it would. It fits the top perfectly and the drawers don't get caught at all. They also close all the way without getting any cover closed in them. I couldn't be happier and King Daddy thinks it's perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment