Monday, May 16, 2011

New Bed

Well King Daddy and I finally did it. We got ourselves a new king size bed! We've been talking about for quite a while now and we finally saved up enough money to do it. We went with an organic natural latex mattress that requires a special kind of box spring or a slat bed frame. We didn't get the box spring because originally I was going to build a slatted bed frame for it. But then, my wonderful parents-in-law said they had a slatted frame in their basement that we could have (they really are the most awesome parents-in-law for many reasons that I won't go into :)! They brought the frame over and King Daddy and I put it together and the next day the mattress was delivered. The only thing wrong was the mattress was too short for the frame. So, I built a box spring for it.


If you can imaging a mattress instead of this wood, this is what it looked like. Definitely the mattress was too short! All I did was build a frame using 1"x8" boards cut 78" down the length and 77" across the width. Then I screwed them together. Next, I added a 1"x6" cut 78" down the center and flush with the bottom of the frame. After that I added 1"x6" boards cut 77" across the bottom of the frame. Then, I flipped it over (not the easiest thing I did all day!) Once turned over I added a 1"x4" board cut 78" on top of the center board to create a "T" for the slats to rest on. Next came the side rails. I used a 1"x2" board cut 78" and screwed it in every 8" or so. I didn't want the wood to show so I chose a bright blue canvas to cover it. I just stapled it to the inside of the side and foot of the frame. I didn't do the back, no one is going to see it. I used the slats that came with the bed frame and screwed them down. 


Everything rested on the center support and side rails of the bed frame. Then we just slid the mattress back on (easier said than done!) Now it sits just above the bottom of the headboard. Perfect!

Now on to the rest of the furniture!

No comments:

Post a Comment