Monday, November 29, 2010

Advent Calendar

We didn't do much in the way of arts and crafts between Halloween and Thanksgiving! I know we were just too busy but for the life of me I can't remember what we were doing. I think I'm a little young for a "senior moment" but that's the best way I can describe it! Now, however, we are getting into Christmas time and I am sooooo excited! My princesses are finally old enough to start doing the crafts my mother did with me, as well as, some new traditions I want to start. We spent the Thanksgiving weekend getting our tree up. I had to get a new one that was bigger (our old one was only 4ft) to fit all of the keepsake ornaments that we have collected since Princess Big was born. I also wanted to have plenty of room to add the ones we will be making this year and in the years to come.


Here is our finished, for now, tree.

One of the new traditions that I have decided on is an Advent Calendar. When I was a kid I think my brother, sister, and I got one of those calendars that is filled with little chocolates once. I suspect that my mother told my grandparents not to send another one. I imagine we didn't share very well but how could you, those chocolates are so small! It was either that or the fact that my parents didn't want us eating too much candy. Now that I'm a mother I find myself thinking the same thing. I don't want my girls eating too much candy at Christmas either and it is very difficult. When I saw this idea I knew it was perfect. I can fill the little boxes with treats other than candy!


Here is the entire calendar.


Here is a close up of the boxes.

If you want to make one of your own you can see how I use the ideas from Mod Podge Rocks here.

No comments:

Post a Comment