Friday, November 12, 2010

Quilted Sunnies Caddie

My children have a million sunnies (our word for sunglasses). At least that's how it seems because they are strewn about the house, car and several of my bags. In an effort to organize them I made a sunnies caddie to hang by the door.


I started by cutting out my fabric. I cut two pieces of white flannel 13"x21" and three pieces of blue striped flannel 4.5"x13".


Next, I pressed the long edges of the blue stripped flannel down .25".


Then, using a zig zag stitch I sewed one of the edges.


Next, I cut a piece of quilt batting slightly larger than the white back ground.


Then, I pinned everything together. On the bottom is one piece of the white, then the batting, then the second piece of white, and last the blue stripped pockets. I sewed, using a zig zag stitch, the bottom of the pockets in place. Then, I sewed the vertical zig zag stitches that separate pockets. I did three pockets approximately 3.5" (I just eyeballed it).


 To make the binding I cut enough strips of fabric 2" wide to go around the entire perimeter.


I turned them into one long strip by sewing them together like this. Pressing the seams open.

  
Then, I folded the strip in half and pressed it like this.


Next, starting in the center of one side I pinned the binding to the caddie with the raw edges lining up.


To do the corners, I stopped sewing about .25" from the end.


Then, I folded the strip up like this...


And then straight back down like this and pinned it. Then I sewed down this edge and repeated the corner process until I got back to where I started. Before I sewed over the end where I started, I folded the beginning edge over about .5". Then, I sewed the ending edge on top of the folded beginning edge. Once the binding was completely sewn on I trimmed the batting and fabric .25" from the stitching.


I made the hanging tabs by sewing a strip of fabric right sides together and then turning it right side out. Then, I cut it into three pieces. I folded the pieces in half to have ready for the next step.


Next, I folded the binding over the edge to the back and pinned it in place. Placing the tabs along the top edge. I matched the raw edges and then folded the binding over the tabs. This means that the top of the tab was pointing down.


Then, I sewed all the way around the binding in the seam. This is called stitch in the ditch. 


 Once it was all sewn I turned the tabs up to the top and stitched in the ditch over them. Now they are pointed the correct way.


Then, I cut a dowel rod the correct length and slid it through the tabs. I tied some white ribbon to the ends and knotted a loop in the center. The last thing to do was hang it by the door with a picture nail!



No comments:

Post a Comment