Sunday, March 20, 2011

Board Book Revamp

Do you have a ratty old board book your kids destroyed? Not so much that it can't have a new life, but too much to pass it along to another baby. It seems like that's all I have :) Well maybe you could turn it into something like this.


I have to admit that this is not originally my idea. The problem is that I can't remember who's blog I saw this on. If you have happened upon this blog and recognize your work please send me an email so I can credit you! Since I can't send the rest of you to that blog I will show you how I put mine together.


I started with this ratty old board book my princesses picked to pieces.


I left the first three pages and last two pages alone. All the rest of the pages I cut the centers out of. I left a boarder of about 1 inch. 


Next, I chose some corresponding scrapbook paper and cut one piece to go over the spine and glued it down with Mod Podge.









Then, I glued a piece to the front and back and tucked it around to the inside. After that I glued the first two pages together and all of the cut pages to the end.









Once the glue was dry I painted the whole pages with chalkboard paint and let them dry. Then, I painted the cut out pages and the sides with acrylic craft paint. When that was dry I gave the pink paint two generous coats of Mod Podge.


I found a small screw in the hardware box in the garage and tied a length of very thin pink ribbon (from our stash) just under the head. Then, I just screwed it in, the pages are soft enough. After this step I gave the entire outside two generous coats of Mod Podge.


Once it was dry I found one large button and one smaller button (think hubby's button down shirt). I used super glue to glue them together and then I glued them to the front of the book.


The only thing left was to cut a couple squares of scrap felt and find some chalk pieces. Now I can drop it in my purse and the princesses can play tic-tac-toe or draw when we have to wait for something.

No comments:

Post a Comment