Tuesday, March 8, 2011

T-Shirt Headband

Hi, I am Queen Sallie.
Craftin' Texan is kind enough to allow me to hijack her blog and I am grateful.

A few things you should know about me:
I have a wonderful family
I curse at my sewing machine on a daily basis
It took me 4.5 years to make my godchild's baby blanket and I sewed half of it on backwards
Once I sewed straight through my finger, really freaked out the hubby on that one.
I have a Silhouette, not that it is important just really cool and I hope to add different tutorials on how to use it in every day projects.

After all of that why would you, lovely blog reader, want to follow any sewing advice I put out there? Every project I have attempted I have learned a great deal from, even something as simple as sewing a straight line (I am about 75% successful on most days). That means if I can do it, anyone can. Hopefully through my missteps and follies I can help you also sew a straight line, which is all the sewing you will need to do for this t-shirt headband.



T-Shirt Headband


(My lovely son modeling the finished headband.)

Supplies you will need:

old t-shirt
scissors
sewing machine/thread
embellishments - Silhouette Heat Transfer Material


Cut straight across the body of your t-shirt to make strips. My headband ended up about 2 inches wide but you can make yours any size. I had enough material to make 5 headbands total.

Cut a strip so you have a long piece of material. I just wrapped the strip around my head and pinched at the base of my neck, this is where I sewed. You can use an actual measuring tape to do this step as well.


Curse at your sewing machine when it eats your material.


Cut off the excess material and flip inside out.



Now your seam is on the inside.


I used the Silhouette I received for Christmas to do the embellishing on the headbands. It is an amazing crafting tool and fairly easy to use. I picked a design I liked from the on-line store (although you can create your own designs) and cut it out using the Heat Transfer Material. Cut your design off of the roll and peel the negative space off of the clear sticky side. Place it down on your headband, cover with a cloth and iron.


Peel back the clear material, if the Heat Transfer Material does not stick cover and iron again. DONE!

I also made a couple for St. Patrick's Day...my favorite holiday!


While writing this post I came across Craft Snobs headband tutorial found HERE.
She is far more talented than I am (I love her cuff bracelets)
and used fabric flowers to decorate hers.


Do not throw away the hem of your t-shirt! You can make a double headband in one easy step. Make a circle with your hem and sew a line at the end.
Ta Da...done!


I couldn't get the kid to sit still long enough to model so I used Mr. Pig!



Again, a big THANK YOU to Craftin' Texan for letting me post.
I am busy working on a couple of "green" ideas for our family
and hope to post those in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment