Thursday, March 3, 2011

Entry Hall Art

If you've ever been to my home you know I'm not much of a decorator. First off I'm kind of a minimalist and second I just don't know what I'm doing! However, after getting the bench in my entry hall I was kind of encouraged to "finish" the space. I talked myself into it telling myself that it was a nice small area. I'm in the middle of another building project for our hats, gloves, etc. So, while waiting for the paint to dry on that I made this art piece.


I will be hanging it but I want to wait until I have the hat shelf on the wall first so that I can get the visual right. I also need King Daddy's help to hang it.

I think I first saw this idea at Mod Podge Rocks but when I went back looking for it I couldn't find it. I blame being sick. When I Googled "Paint chip mosaic" I found lots of examples so I'll just tell you how I did mine.


First, I went to Lowe's and Home Depot and got one of every paint chip in the color blue. Then, I sat down with my 1.5 inch square hole punch and punched out as many squares as I could. I already had the poster frame and I always keep the 'picture' that comes in frames. I just turn them around and put them behind whatever picture I'm putting in the frame. So, I took the "picture" which was a piece of thin cardboard (think cereal box cardboard) and started gluing my squares on. I used Mod Podge and a 1" foam brush to put one thin swipe down the center of each square. Since I was putting the finished product in a frame I didn't put a coat of Mod Podge on top (I think I would have, though, if I wasn't using a frame). After letting it dry I slid it in the frame at that was that!

No comments:

Post a Comment