Friday, October 22, 2010

T-Shirt Dress

Here is a project I first did in the late 80's with my step-mom. Originally we used plain t-shirts and hot glued big plastic buttons all over the front... oh the 80's :) I can only find plain short sleeve t-shirts in my girls sizes that they can decorate. So, I plan on making more with the girls in the spring when they will be able to wear short sleeved dresses. For now I took them shopping and let them pick out a shirt they liked (turns out they liked the same one so I'm only showing one). This project only took about an hour to do both dresses.


I'm sure you're looking at this thinking that is a plain pink t-shirt! The neck has some pleating on it though and I didn't know how easy it would be for my princesses to work around. They are only 3 and 4 and I don't want any frustration with a project that is supposed to be fun.


First thing I did was cut the shirt into two pieces right under the arms.


Next, I pinned the two shirts together. The pink pinned under the hem of the white.


 Then I took it to the sewing machine (sorry I don't have a picture of this but I cant shoot and sew at the same time). I sewed the pieces together along the hem stitch of the white t-shirt.


Here is the completed dress!

No comments:

Post a Comment