Monday, February 7, 2011

Q is for Quilt

Last week we learned about Q for quilt. Queen Mommy loves to quilt. In fact, I have already made matching reversible quilts for the Princesses' beds (which King Daddy and I built).


I would love to pass on my love of quilt making to, at least one of, the Princesses. So, I decided to have them make paper quilt squares that I will then use to create a throw for the family room. I started Monday sitting with the Princesses and looking at quilting books and magazines. Then I gave them construction paper and scissors and let them go to it.


Well, I discovered quickly that THAT wasn't going to work. They decided it was just an invitation to cut paper. It was a huge mess! There were little scraps of paper all over the table, chairs and floor.


I started Tuesday by giving them squares and triangles in a few different sizes. That worked much better!


I showed them how they could use the shapes to make pictures.









Here are some that Princess Little came up with.


Here is one that Princess Big came up with.


The next thing I did was to map out our blocks on a throw size piece of paper (I ran out of bulletin board paper so I just taped together regular copy paper). You can't really see it but each color is already labeled with the cut size of the fabric. Now all I have to do is add up the cut sizes so I know how much fabric to buy. I know the middle looks blank but we do have an idea for it. This quilt tells the story of the things we love and one of those things is ballet. I don't know how to make a ballerina quilt block in the same way we made the others. She just wouldn't come out looking as graceful as she should! Instead we are going to try to find some fabric with ballerinas in different poses. Then I will create shadow box squares highlighting them. Stay tuned to see how it turns out! 

No comments:

Post a Comment